Friday, February 27, 2009

Another Grades Relapse...HOLY COW!

ohmygoshijustsentanapplicationtogotoafricathissummer!

Look what grades do to me. I hate grades with a passion, as all my dedicated (1) blog followers will remember from last time. So I take "brain-breaks". Generally this is going to Amazon.com and buying lots of random books that I want to read, and the reward for finishing grades is getting lots of packages for the following 2 weeks.

Well, this time I have too many books and it would not be fulfilling to add more to the pile....so.....you know. I applied to go to Africa with this group that sounds reliable and trustworthy and safe.

I CANNOT EXPRESS TO YOU MY EXCITEMENT. This, applying, is a step out of my comfort zone alone. I ache to get out of it sometimes. And my heart is in humanitarian work beyond the walls of my classroom...so maybe this will be my opportunity!

I've got 1/2 the cost covered w/o selling my house. I've got to think about the other 1/2. I've got a smidge in savings but'd rather not touch it, but add to it. You know. Any ideas?

WAHOO!

Grades suck. But I love how they make me reward myself in interesting ways =o)

8 comments:

Meghan said...

Oh my word VeNicia, I am FREAKING OUT for you! This is really exciting and I'm going to start brainstorming 101 ways to save the "other half."

WOOHOO! I'm so proud of you for taking this HUGE leap of faith. You are amazing!

VoNique said...

I'm so excited for you Neesh! I hope it works out. I'll let you know if I come up w/ any other briliant money schemes.

Heidi's Quorum said...

VeNicia! How exciting for you! YOU DESERVE THIS! We could do a fundraiser for you! Whatever you think we need to do to help you reach your goal...that would just be spectacular for you! Way to go!!!!

Jen said...

I totally agree with you! Grading STINKS and takes up SO MUCH TIME!!! Wow, that is really exciting, I should think more about rewarding myself, usually I get icecream or something! Yours sounds much more exciting!!!

Here are some fundraisers we have done and maybe you could do a variation of one of these.

Will your school let you do a fundraiser? In our school we have done a few fundraisers that are not directly for the school. For Breast Cancer Research we sell slips of pink paper that they make into the breast cancer loop and staple it to their classroom door. It becomes a school competition.

One year they sold slips of paper and made a huge chain (like the count down to Christmas chain). It was fun to watch it grow! At the end of the fundraiser, they paraded this monsterous chain around the school with music playing on the intercom.

I don't know if you would be able to get everyone to join in on you with this one but my class came up with this on when two students from our school where killed in a car accident. Each student could donate a dollar or more to their fund and inturn they recieved a homework pass. They could donate more but they only recieved one pass. I was so proud of my class for coming up with this idea and asking the principal to include the entire school rather than just our class or our grade level. Of course this was a very personal matter for our school but our school raised over $3,000 for this one.

Good luck in your fundraising! :)

Jen said...

Could you send out a letter to business for a donation? They can use it as a tax donation and you could go do the work.

When I was fundraising at UVSC there was always concession stands (I don't know if they have to be UVSC clubs or not), Krispy Kreme fundraising, and Fudruckers fundraising.

VeNicia Monet Glazier said...

Jen. You should come with me =o) Thanks for the ideas! I feel like my school's done tons of fundraisers. We just finished one for the Humane Society last week. But I've really wanted them to fundraise for the Ugandan kids we are pen-palling and for Pennies For Peace (Greg Mortenson/ 3 Cups of Tea). Maybe next year I will do Student Council so I can "guide" them to choose the charities of my heart =o) I love your Breast Cancer one, too. My sweet friend has been out this year so far with it and that would be awesome!

Thanks everyone for your cheers of support! I'm pretty stoked =oD

VeNicia Monet Glazier said...

PS My wedding ring's at the appraiser, my taxes are filed as of Saturday, and I've submitted everything for refinancing my house (crazy-low rates, people!! I know a guys who charges no closing costs if you're interested...) and that'll lower my mortgage payment, fer sher. So...the stars are aligned and life is good =o) Yay for life! (And aligned stars. I like aligned stars.)

VeNicia Monet Glazier said...
This comment has been removed by the author.