It’s said that in ancient Rome that when Cicero spoke to his audiences people used to turn to each other and say, about Cicero, “Great speech.” But it is said that in ancient Greece that when Demosthenes spoke to his audiences, people turned to each other and didn’t say “Great speech,” they said, “Let’s march.” We should be marching towards a global society.”It's exactly what Elder Oaks said in his talk I listened to yesterday morning (re-listened to his CES broadcast of 2005):
My friend said someone told him, “I surely enjoyed your talk.” We agreed that this is not the kind of comment we like to receive. As my friend said, “I didn’t give that talk to be enjoyed. What does he think I am, some kind of entertainer?” Another member of our quorum joined the conversation by saying, “That reminds me of the story of a good minister. When a parishioner said, ‘I surely enjoyed your sermon today,’ the minister replied, ‘In that case, you didn’t understand it.’”Joseph Smith said that we are taught correct principles then are left to govern ourselves.
You may remember that this April conference I spoke on pornography. No one told me they “enjoyed” that talk—not one! In fact, there was nothing enjoyable in it even for me. I speak of these recent conversations to teach the principle that a message given by a General Authority at a general conference—a message prepared under the influence of the Spirit to further the work of the Lord—is not given to be enjoyed. It is given to inspire, to edify, to challenge, or to correct. It is given to be heard under the influence of the Spirit of the Lord, with the intended result that the listener learns from the talk and from the Spirit what he or she should do about it.
I believe that's how God works in our lives. We can learn as fast as we have the capacity and desire to take things in. We can seek learning as fast as we want it and can take it. There's a ton of information, and we sort it for truth. The truth will resonate with our spirits and by it's fruit we shall know it...that is, when we apply it in our lives, does it yield goodness? Or heaviness? Confusion? Or enlightenment? Does it open doors to other great opportunities? Or does it make you feel stuck? Truth is light and knowledge, it brings excitement to our lives, and it feels good. Going forward in it feels good. Though what's in front of us may be unknown, we feel propelled with a desire to know it and a faith that our day, everything in our lives, is unfolding in absolute perfection. We feel hopeful. That is the effects of Truth. Discouragement, fear, heaviness...if that's what's prevalent (and I think it is for all of us at some point(s) in our lives)...then we have to stop ourselves and see where we are not listening to voices of truth, and perhaps even listening to untruths.
I tell myself untruths all the time. I have been working really hard on catching myself in those thoughts and reframing my thinking. One example: when I get ready in the morning and have time to let my brain wander wherever it will. That's a time when I start feeling down about myself and beating myself up about my imperfections. SO. On my mirror in dry-erase marker I've been writing positive affirmations and quotes & things I like--the ones that specifically counter my untruths that I sometimes listen to--the ones satan pelts at me (I refuse to capitalize his name).
Anywho, I digress. Truth is all around us. Once it resonates with us, once we learn something, it's time to take action on it. What are we gonna do about the truths God shows us TODAY?!?!
























1 comment:
Loved it!
Post a Comment