Thursday, August 7, 2008

Genocide Olympics?

If only the Olympics were just about peace and the love of the game. Unfortunately, politics and genocide have as much to do with it this year.

This man is Olympian speed skater Joey Cheek--whose visa was just revoked by China for his involvement in Team Darfur--speaking out against China's supplying arms which are being used to kill an already estimated 200,000-400,000 people. Sudan's president has been accused of genocide and crimes against humanity, but refuses to recognize or cooperate with the International Criminal Court.

I found these informative and sadly interesting:
BBC Q & A on Darfur conflict
US Olympians on Team Darfur--Joey Cheek and Lopez Lomong
Activists' alternate Opening Ceremonies
Romney speaks out for Joey Cheek
AP report on China's involvement
Save Darfur website (I've gotten their e-newsletters forever)
BBC evidence of China's involvement

If anyone knows how and wants to teach me about making better links on blogs, that would be cool of you. (Like where I could put words I choose, people click on them, but the link itself is hidden. You know what I mean.) *THANKS, Green Team =o)*

1 comment:

Ash said...

When you are writing your post, highlight the word you want to make a link. Then click on the tab on the top of the post that looks like a globe with a chain link in front of it. That will open a box where you can type or copy and paste the website you want to link.