Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Judge Not, That Ye Be Not Judged

There are certain things I believe to be main lessons to learn--phrased another way: visions of Truth to capture and comprehend on the deepest levels--and which it is intended that we learn in mortality. One of the most imperative, I believe, is not judging. Better phrased: seeing others with the pure Love of Christ, which we know to be called Charity.

One of the most endearing qualities of people that I admire is their seemingly innate ability to make others feel comfortable with them; to enable them to feel the love of God for them in even a brief encounter; to give people the benefit of the doubt; to show respect to people who others might look on with criticism, and "lofty" looks or sideways glances. And even more so when, outside of that person's presence, they say something kind about that person (or nothing at all, if there is nothing to be said) rather than, with a sigh of relief to be out of their presence, begin complaining or critiquing.

Here's a most recent and cute (endearing) example:
My dad buys things out of necessity only. He had to keep hoisting up the pants he was wearing around last week as he was working in the yard getting ready to leave it while he came out to Utah with me. ("Look, VeNicia, they can come off now without me undoing the button." "Ahh! Okay! I believe you!") So we went to Wal-Mart before the trip. Because they were 1 of his 2 pairs of pants. (I think he had as many as 2 only so as to be enabled to wear one while he does his laundry...) He tried on pants and I was in the office/school supply aisle (of course) getting stuff for my kids. I finished and went to meet him at the dressing room. He came out slowly. He handed the pants that didn't work to the lady at the desk, who dismissed him without so much as a glance of acknowledgment. But Dad still stood there. "Thank you," he said kindly. "You're very kind to help me." She actually looked up, visibly amazed that he took the time to stand there and talk to her. "Have a happy day," he said smiling, and he turned to walk over to me. She froze there, mid-hanger-inserting, and watched him walk away, obviously touched.

I love my Dad.
The whole talk is good, but here's only a portion of N Eldon Tanner's talk from 1972, "Judge Not, That Ye Be Not Judged", which I liked:

This being election year, there will be much campaigning; we will hear and argue the pros and cons of many questions; we will have strong opposing views. Each must try to understand the questions and then stand firm by his convictions. But let us determine now that in the heat of the campaign we will not indulge in the vituperative talk of personalities that we so often hear. We must not rail against our brother and accuse him of lying and cheating or being dishonest or immoral.

Let us stand on principle—high principle. Also, it is most important that all of us, including our politicians, strive to live so that our actions will be above reproach and criticism.

We never gain anything or improve our own character by trying to tear down another. We have seen close friendships destroyed through words spoken and accusations made in the heat of a campaign. Tirades against men in office or against one’s opponent tend to cause our youth and others to lose faith in the individual and others in government and often even our form of government itself.

As parents, we have the responsibility in our homes to guard against any of these things. Also, we must realize that every word and every act influences the thinking and attitude of the child. It is in the family that the child picks up the elementary lessons in getting along with people and the virtues of love, compassion, and concern. These lessons will have been well taught if parents can bring up their children without prejudicing them by precept or example against any other children on the grounds of color, race, religion, social status, or intellectual capacity, and if they teach them to love the Lord. I am so thankful that my parents, through their tolerance, were able to accomplish this with their children.

May I humbly say in all sincerity that I love the Lord with all my heart and that I love my fellowmen. I hold no hard feelings of any kind toward any man, and I sincerely pray for forgiveness wherein I have offended anyone. I realize, as the Savior said, “Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.” (Matt. 25:40.)

Wow. I'm adding that to my Bucket List.

“Wouldn’t this old world be better
If the folks we meet would say:
‘I know something good about you,’
And then treat us that way?”

4 comments:

Meghan said...

Couldn't have said it better VeNicia. You write so well, and I love reading your inspirational thoughts. It really gives me a better perspective on life. I love you! Thank you.

VoNique said...

I love Dad too!

VeNicia said...

Isn't that pic great of him? I don't know if you can see his papers, but they were a wonderful, to scale, detailed key of his yard, plans, and every type of flower/plant he's got or is planning on adding...before I knocked over that glass of raspberry lemonade at the bottom of the screen...yeah. I think I salvaged the main one, and his favorite yard book. It's my strategy, these things I do more often than I'd prefer, so I have no ounce of pride left in me for my lifetime.

VeNicia said...

PS I didn't write this as any sort of hint or lesson for anyone (other than myself), if it could be taken that way. I just like the topic =o)