Monday, October 13, 2008

ESL Class: Reflection 3

“How does it make you feel to hear people speaking other languages in public?”

My personal response to the posed question is so much a part of my nature and identity I almost wouldn’t have recognized it but for its contrast to many of the comments made in class. I didn’t raise my hand because my assumption was that all of us in an ESL class would feel similarly, and my response would be rote. After listening to a few comments, I couldn’t remain still in my seat. I had no idea that my response would be so seemingly unique.

Surprisingly, most comments seemed to reflect what in my observation appear to be personal insecurities, particularly comments expressing internal inquiries about the speaker of another language perhaps talking about them. I was shocked at the expressions of frustration that the speaker was not using English as “should” be “expected”, as we are “expected” to speak the native language when we ourselves are in another country.

Surely I can’t be alone in the belief that speakers of other languages have better things to talk about than myself as they happen to be nearby. Surely others must value the richness of culture speakers of other languages bring to our society. Surely among my fellow citizens are those who are accommodating and helpful to people from other countries. Surely we don’t reciprocate elitism for elitism when we encounter in our travels a person who is impatient with our broken language, only to return home and treat others the same.

I am grateful for the glimpses into ways of life other than my own. I am drawn to speakers of other languages as I encounter them, and hope that my words and actions reflect warmth and welcome as I extend my hand in not only assistance, but friendship.

No comments: