But children aren't being raised by a mom & dad. They're being raised by a mom and an absent dad. Or by a dad and an absent mom. Or by a fighting mom and dad. Or by a druggie and a grandma. Or by an adopted "aunt" neighbor who makes sure they get to school. Or the girlfriend of a dad who's in prison.
I am a teacher, having had all those children in my classes. (In Utah, no less.) No, I don't teach that homosexual relationships are equal to traditional marriage. I don't "teach" marriage, period. Last I checked, it's not in the core curriculum. Anywhere. But I do teach that others have rights. I teach that children need to respect each other. I teach that they don't need to be best friends, or always agree, but that people who think something different aren't evil, and can be more than "tolerated"...they can be appreciated and even loved. A lesbian couple volunteered in my classroom last year. They were among the most supportive volunteers I've ever had. I told them they were welcome. And I told them I wished all the children in my class had parents as loving and dedicated as them. Children deserve our best, you're right. But since they don't always get a loving mom & dad these days, I am grateful that those children get loved, period.
I have dear friends who are LDS and have been fighting their homosexual attractions. More than anything they want to be rid of them, be in a loving marriage with a person of the opposite gender, and follow the gospel plan. You cannot tell me they asked for this challenge. They are more dedicated in their faith, because of their daily struggle, than most LDS people will ever be. They deserve our love, our respect, our support in their efforts, and NOT our criticism, judgments about how they "got" their "problem", or our inexperienced advice on how they should get rid of it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
























No comments:
Post a Comment