Now, don't get me wrong, I'm an involved citizen. I vote. I attend my neighborhood caucuses. I was even a state delegate in Provo when Huntsman was running (you get all kinds of free bribes...I mean...stuff. You should do it one day.) And I'd like to do it again. But it seems to me that much is lost as people's focus narrows within the realm of politics and they get caught up in the swirl of spewed diatribes and the unfettered gnashing of proverbial teeth. It seems to me that some forget there is a much higher Law, a more beautiful and powerful government that is desecrated, even--and perhaps sometimes especially--by religious people.
Do they not see? How unbecoming of a Christian to belittle a person of another belief or political party. What gives people the right to question another's loyalty to values and principles based on superficiality and un- or ill-informed perceptions of a differing view?
God said the two greatest laws are to 1) Love God and 2) Love others. He didn't say "Love others unless they are a democrat." Or insert whatever group we are biased against.
President Hinckley in an interview with National Press Club:
"Q. Do you work at bringing about change in the way the church is viewed by those outside the church?
"A. Constantly — trying to build understanding. As I indicated in what I said in my talk, ignorance leads to misunderstanding. When we don't know how other people act, what they believe, we view them with suspicion. When we get to know more about them that suspicion turns to appreciation, and I think that is what we are trying to do, trying to accomplish."
I love President Hinckley. I'm sure he wouldn't mind me extending his words here to include people of differing political views. Why are some so quick to say another person isn't a good American or isn't a person of moral integrity if they view things differently? I would postulate that this may likly be a factor in the increasing failure of marriages & families. Anyone who puts in the time to communicate with a person--in sincere humanity and honest intention to understand, NOT with disingenuous, half-hearted interest and thinly-veiled arrogance--will learn that the person likely has, at heart, just as much desire for good in their lives and the lives of their family and loved ones, as well as the good of our nation and world.
Why is that so hard to believe? "For behold, are we not all beggars? Do we not all depend upon the same Being, even God, for all the substance which we have?"
Are we not all children of God, hoping for the same mercy, the same love, the same joy...though perhaps in different ways? Does that alone make a person a sinner?
Further in the same interview with my hero, President Hinckley:
"Jack Cushman: I find another political question crept into the deck here.
"President Hinckley: I bet you put it there. (I sure love and miss his forward yet gentle, friendly, and sweet sense of humor and his sincere, fun personality. And depth of soul.)
"Q. It says, Given the platform and positions taken by the Democratic Party, can you be a good church member and a Democrat?
"A. Yes, I think so. (GASP!) (Check my source, I didn't make this up.) I don't know why you couldn't. It depends on what you believe as a Democrat in terms of some things. There are some things we don't subscribe to. We've got lots of Democrats in the church, lots of them, and they are good people. I don't worry about that too much. This is Washington. I better be careful of what I say. Well, we've got a Democratic presidency and another candidate marked out for the future."
(Transcript National Press, Questions and Answers with President Gordon B. Hinckley of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, 'Mormons' March 8, 2000). http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1,5143,155008723,00.html?pg=7Critics even accused President Hinckley and, by affiliation, the LDS church, of being pro-partial-birth-abortion solely because Joe Leiberman gives a recommendation on the back of his book, Standing For Something. Surely we can give each other a little more benefit of the doubt, without accusing and assuming, having not talked directly to the person on a specific issue!
It seems to me that to be seen as a good American--around these parts--you have to fit in a particular box. Well, it gets kind of tight when too many cookie cutter-ed opinions get sardine-packed into one box. I know, I'm treading on thin ice with some of my own loved ones, here. But don't get me wrong...again...I love my religion (in it's true form, without all the cultural cling-ons that taint it). I know God lives--I have unmistakably felt His love for me at many points in my life.
Basically, my faith is summed up in the words of Nephi: "I do not know the meaning of all things, but I know God loveth His children." I know He does.
I know there is more love to be felt and joy to experience than we sometimes allow into our lives...because of our limited perspectives, inhibited ways of loving each other, and our own closed-minded ways of not accepting God's offerings which surround us daily--tender mercies, light, enlightenment, beauty, and most especially, love. These come in ways we might not expect, definitely not in the ways we are demanding they be revealed to us. I just feel like people--all of us in general--need to be more open. More open to each other. More open to allowing each other to Be, and to Be differently. More open to forgiving others mistakes and loving people as they are, mistakes and all. More open to receiving all the blessings God has to give us, in whatever form. More open to life, and experiences and people that might not fit our boxes.
Who wants to stay in an unenlightened box of a perspective anyway?! God sees so much more than we do. I want to expand to see it His way, to grow and change and bend--don't get me wrong...again...I don't mean I want to be "blown about by every wind of doctrine", but I do intend on living flexibly, strong-rooted in unchanging principles and God-revealed truths, and I fully intend on "allowing all men [and women] the same privilege".
I finished the Tao te Ching today, and would like to end my soapbox (for now) on the beauty of verse 72:
"When people no longer fear the power of governments,
a far greater empowerment appears--
the Great Integrity--
which never needs to enforce itself.
Then, we will never again be driven from our homes
or be compelled to labor for the benefit of others.
We will all work naturally to fulfill ourselves,
and to meet our community needs.
In the Great Integrity,
we will all love ourselves and all others,
not as compensations for ego deprivations and defilements,
but as natural expressions of our humanity."
























1 comment:
Oh, Venicia--well put! You are a beautiful writer and I love reading your thoughts. You are very, very good at loving people. You have a gift to love everyone, and to make them feel loved and important to you and to their Father in Heaven. You are amazing. I agree that people should be less judgmental and more loving. There is no one "right" political party or politician. Things are way too complicated to just choose one side and stick to it unquestioningly!
Unfortunately, not everyone has your gift of loving and showing it. Many of us believe that, and try to live it, but still fall short. We may feel all that love inside but just not be able to show it. It's something we can work on, and luckily we have examples like you to show us how to do it better. :)
And...I've missed you and reading your blog! I hope you'll post a little about what's going on in 2nd grade, etc.! :):):)
Post a Comment