I just overheard 3 of my little girls as they were getting ready for recess, the last of the 2nd graders to head out the door. One was struggling with a zipper and the other 2 were waiting. As they were standing by the door, the two were pointing to the numbers on their math books and saying, "She got married when she was...21." The other said, "She got married when she was...12." "Ew!" The one struggling with the zipper exclaimed. "You can't get married 'til you're at least 18," said another.
At that point I remembered my sister overhearing her own daughters talking about when you should get married..."When you're old, like 16"...and recalled my sister's motherly panic at what "old" sounded like to them.
I responded to my 2nd graders, "18?! We don't have to get married until we're older! We can wait until there's a boy who will treat us like *princesses*. And *then* we'll *think* about it." "Yeah. And if they beg," one of the girls added. "Like they're going to *die*!" chimed in the other.
Mission accomplished. =o)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
























1 comment:
VeNicia, you are a great teacher! Look how well you trained those girls!! I'm glad they have you. This story sure made me miss you. Hope to see you soon. . .
Post a Comment