Sunday, September 28, 2008

Battle of the Lights

Conference is coming! Interestingly, I think I'm on a 6 month cycle of some sort, which I notice because when I start to feel like life is heavy, all of the sudden it's conference time and I realize how much I really need it right now and am looking forward to it. I am so grateful for General Conference.

I can't believe it's been 6 months since last conference already. I remember the sessions I went to. I remember the notes I took and some of the talks that were so inspiring to me then. I can't watch without writing. There are things too important that come to the mind while watching conference to just watch without recording.

Last week my institute choir sang at a fireside for Scott Anderson, who talked about an experience he had with note taking during the priesthood session of a recent conference. Someone had turned out all the lights and it was too dark for him to write. So he went and flipped them on (in the back). Oddly, someone turned them out again! And, endearingly (to me), he went and turned them back on. The person came over--a priesthood leader, no less--and said, "It's on the internet tomorrow, why do you have to write it down?" I love Brother Anderson's response: "How can the internet possibly record what the Holy Ghost just said to me?" The lights stayed on. =o)

Interestingly, I just had that exact experience. My sister and I went to her church for the General Relief Society broadcast on Saturday evening. We sat in the back of the cushy pews and I pulled out my journal and began setting up my page how I do for notes at conference. Then the lights went out. "Hmm," I thought. "This won't do." I got out from the middle of my pew to go find lights in the very back that would disturb non-notetakers the least, but provide me with enough light to see my page. I had just made it back to the middle of the pew when the lights went out again.

My sister, noticing my amusement (okay...non-amusement) and unwillingness to back down asked, "Can you not see?" The lights in the hall were on and shining through the doors. But at that moment someone shut them. "Why, do you want me to settle down?" I asked, smiling. She smiled and nodded. "I'm going to the back where I can sit by the light switch," I responded, and made everyone on the pew move yet again. When I got to the back, I turned on the light and sat down next to the switch.

Immediately I noticed the one man in the room quickly look over at me. He went to go whisper to a lady and indicate in my direction. I smiled as I pulled out my pen and opened my book. I almost wanted him to come and say something to me so I could use Scott Anderson's line, but he never did. However...the light stayed on. =o) And, endearingly, my sister later came to join me. I love my sister for always putting up with my non-back-down-ness (which at other times has undoubtedly been obnoxious), despite her sweet, peacemaking personality. I've always admired her for it. I, on the other hand, generally can't let things go or keep my mouth shut and have at times ruffled feathers because of it. Somehow she loves me anyway, and I know I'm very lucky to have her for my little sis. There are times I really should let things go that I think are more important than they are. This instance, however, was not one of them =o)

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Good for you for turning on the lights! I agree--very important. Not that I always do it, sadly, but I agree.

And you sure had me fooled--I thought you were a total peacemaker! You are always so nice and sweet!! But I'm glad you have a backbone, too. Teachers need one! :):):)

Lindsay said...

Haha, I love this story. It really highlights the differences between you and Nique, and the reasons I love you both so much!