


Erica and I were roomies for a long time. Somehow she still likes me, and invited me to Women's Conference at BYU with her. I'm so glad she did! Opening remarks were given in the Marriott Center by Julie Beck, recently called General Relief Society President. The Relief Society is the largest organization of women in the world--consisting of more than 6 million members! Then we went to a few classes of our choice--one of which was taught by John Bytheway and his mom.
Closing remarks were given by President Thomas S. Monson--the man who succeeded Gordon Bitner Hinckley as president of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, and prophet, seer and revelator to the world! His talk was so full of love and admiration of the women of the church, and encouraging. He recognized our efforts, and encouraged us to do the same by not focusing continually on what we haven't accomplished, but pausing to recognize what we have done.
"Find joy in the journey!" He said. Don't save things for special occasions; everyday is a special occasion! Don't delay or postpone anything that can bring joy or laughter into our lives. (I think of this analogously when I burn my candles, not saving them as decorations--his words resonate with my soul!) Keep your list of regrets or missed opportunities as short as possible. One day each of us will run out of tomorrows. Pile up tomorrows and you'll realize you've piled up a lot of empty yesterdays. "'Someday' is fading in my vocabulary," he said. "Everyday is a special day!"
He spoke about adversity as well. "Not one of us hasn't felt of adversity in one form or another," he said. "Faith is what gets us through." It is not difficult to be happy on perfect days, he said. "But a loving Heavenly Father knows we become refined through dark days." (These words spoke to my heart, as well.) Those days are the "real test of our ability to endure." He says we become more polished by the things we suffer and endure, and that no pain we suffer or trial we endure is ever wasted. It builds our character, expands our hearts, and makes us more charitable.
"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on!"
"The stronger the wind, the stronger the trees."



























2 comments:
K, I want to see some melted wax on those green candles in your bathroom this weekend. Wanna hang out?
I'm glad you posted on this! I was wondering what Pres Monson talked about - and it sounds like a great message.
Post a Comment